- HOT TOPICS
- Farmland lost to BC's Site C Dam
- WHY ALL THE FUSS ABOUT THE SITE C DAM?
- Holm: A damning indictment of process. Van Sun OpEd April 15, 2015
- Holm July 3 Presentation Metro Vancouver Board
- Holm V.Sun Op-Ed: Why Site C should be stopped
- DIMINISHED AND DISMISSED - Submission to Joint Review Panel
- Smarties 4 dummies - farm land lost to Site C dam.
- HOLM December 2013 Written Submission to CEAA Panel on Site C
- BC Hydro Site C Dam- Agroeconomic GAP Analysis 2013
- BC Hydro Site C Dam Analysis of DRAFT EIS 2012
- Defending Supply Management
- Young Farmer Apprenticeship Cooperative for Southlands
- Farmland lost to BC's Site C Dam
- 2017 Cuba Farmer Tour
- CUBA CO-OP PROJECT WIITH ANAP
- Cuba Papers: Food, Farm, Co-ops!
- The Cuba Story
- Columns on Cuba
- Cuba Dairy Project
- Blog: Holm on Cuba
- Jan - All Canada's farmers have a stake in the Peace! Western Dairy Farmer
- Nov - Social media and those big brown eyes Western Dairy Farmer
- Oct - If you think diafitered milk IS milk, drink a glass of it. Ontario Dairy Farmer
- May - Why did the chicken cross the road? To escape the well-intentioned! a riddle with a warning for dairy farmers... Western Dairy Farmer
- Feb - Dos Papas, pero sin papas.. Western Dairy Farmer
- Dec - DEAR JUSTIN... Western Dairy Farmer
- Nov. - The TPP - this devil is in the details. Western Dairy Farmer
- Sep - The New Zealand Experiment. Western Dairy Farmer
- July - This fall, make sure "food" is on every politician's plate. Western Dairy Farmer
- MAY - Why isn't food important? Western Dairy Farmer
- Apr 25, 2015 A damning indictment of process. OpEd Vancouver Sun
- JAN - Tell truth about supply management Western Dairy Farmer
- DEC - Time to tell the truth about supply management. Western Dairy Farmer
- Nov - Global Consolidation of the Dairy Industry. Western Dairy Farmer
- Nov - Senator Kenny climbs on his horse. Ontario Dairy Farmer
- Oct - Only in Canada you say? Brilliant!. Ontario Dairy Farmer
- Oct - Senator Kenny climbs on his horse. Western Dairy Farmer
- Sept 17 - Supply Management doesn't gouge consumers. Times Colonist
- Sept 2 - If we want to eat, we must support our farmers. Opinion. Vancouver Sun
- Sept - Only in Canada you say? Brilliant! Western Dairy Farmer
- Aug 26 Food forever? Or fracking for export? Tough choice! Ontario Farmer. Pg 3.
Jul 28 Why Site C must be stopped. Opinion. Vancouver Sun
GOLD O.R. Evans Award for Press Editorial, 2015 Canadian Farm Writers Awards
- July More cows than you can shake a stick at? Western Dairy Farmer
- June Brandishing a limp, 13 page report and calling for blood. Western Dairy Farmer
- Apr. - Cause there's a buck to be made from it. Western Dairy Farmer
- Mar 25 - Because there's a buck to be made from it. Ontario Farmer
- Jan.- Food, Land and Community. The Scrivener. Vol 22. No 4. Winter 2013
- Jan - The choice between a scholrship and a puppy. . Western Dairy Farmer
- Nov - DEPI is standing up for supply management. Western Dairy Farmer
- Oct - Let's look more closely at this cow-wielding bank. Western Dairy Farmer
- Sept - China is eyeing Canada's dairy sector. Western Dairy Farmer
- July BACKFIRE Western Dairy Farmer
- Apr. Big Green Hat. Western Dairy Farmer
- Mar - Challenging Martha Western Dairy Farmer
- Jan-Feb Dairyland: Could farmers have saved their co-op? Western Dairy Farmer
- Nov-Dec Taking the pulse of your cooperative. Western Dairy Farmer
- Oct - Co-operation and coordination. Western Dairy Farmer
Sept - Deconstructing Martha. Western Dairy Farmer
GOLD O.R. Evans Award for Press Editorial, 2013 Canadian Farm Writers Awards
- July/Aug - Floating anti-supply management messages.
- May/June - Talking About Supply Management
- Jan - The elephant in the milking parlour. Western Dairy Farmer
- Oct - Lulled by the spin-cycle? Western Dairy Farmer
- Sept - Why you should care about CWB vote. Western Dairy Farmer.
- July/Aug - Tracking farm cooperatives. Western Dairy Farmer
- May - The Dairyland Story. Western Dairy Farmer.
- April - Cheese decision backed. Western Dairy Farmer.
- March - Cooperation - A Love Story. Western Dairy Farm
Nov/Dec - Will the real chocolate milk please stand up? Western Dairy Farmer
GOLD, The Frank Jacobs Award for Press Column, 2011, Canadian Farm Writers' Federation
Above with more graphics and pictures
- Oct 19 - Flexible credit lenders needed for agriculture's prosperity. Ontario Farmer. Business Section. Page 1.
- Sep/Oct - New European options. Western Dairy Farmer.
- June 2010 - David, Goliath and the cheese wars. Ontario Dairy Farmer
- May/Jun David, Goliath and the cheese wars. Western Dairy Farmer
- Jan 18 - Bill Gates and the Green Revolution do Africa. ecollo.com
- Jan/Feb - The Real Cheese. Western Dairy Farmer.
- Nov/Dec - Cheese by any other name just isn't Western Dairy Farmer.
- Oct 23 - Tsawwassen land should remain agricultural. Vancouver Sun Op-Ed.
- Oct 17 - Court ruling is good news for cheese connoisseurs. Vancouver Sun
- Sep/Oct - HOGWASH! Western Dairy Farmer
- Jul/Aug - Mindsnacks to chew on... Western Dairy Farmer
- May/June - The Grower and Water - Western Dairy Farmer
- Jan/Feb - This cheese we eat. Western Dairy Farmer.
Dec 13 - Canadian cheese should be made from Canadian milk. Vancouver Sun Op-Ed.
BRONZE The O.R. Evans Award for Press Editorial, 2009, Canadian Farm Writers' Federation
- Nov 7 - Producers welcome milk protein changes. AgriExpress. Farm Credit Corporation
- Nov/Dec - Undercut. Surviving the Domino Effect. Western Dairy Farmer.
- Nov/Dec - Beware a Conservative majority. Western Dairy Farmer (Reprinted.).
- Nov 4 - Save the Farm: A community rallies around a UBC treasure. Vancouver Sun Op-Ed.
- Sept 23 - Tipping Point - The Garden City Lands. Vancouver Sun Op-Ed.
- Sep/Oct - Cuba: Enhancing Cuba's Production. Western Dairy Farmer.
- Sep/Oct - Doha: Take no solace in round collapse. Western Dairy Farmer.
- July/Aug - Confessions of an Economist. Western Dairy Farmer
- Mar/Apr - Limp carrot, sharper stick. Western Dairy Farmer,
- Feb - Toasting Fidel... Straight Goods.
- Jan/Feb - Do you know a deserving student? Western Dairy Farmer
- Dec - The ghost of farming future. Rural Voice
- Nov - Consider this: Who's getting our water? The Grower
- Nov/Dec - Dairy without borders. Western Dairy Farmer
Sept/Oct - Beware a Conservative majority. Western Dairy Farmer
GOLD, The Frank Jacobs Award for Press Column, 2008, Canadian Farm Writers' Federation
- July/Aug - International co-operation bestows accolades on dairy efforts. Western Dairy Farmer
- July/Aug- Ontario Dairy Farmers Abroad-Sustainable Dairy Circles in Cuba. Western Dairy Farmer
- July/Aug - Water wars simmer. Western Dairy Farmer.
- May/Jun - Long live the Pedestals - down with the King. Western Dairy Farmer
- May - Ontario dairy farmers helping in Cuba. Rural Voice.
- Mar/Apr - Canadian farmers triple dairy production at a Cuban cooperative. Western Dairy Farmer
- Jan/Feb -The Rumpelstiltskin Project: Sewage to Milk, Bayamo. Western Dairy Farmer
- Dec - Attack on western grain farmers an attack on all farmers. Rural Voice.
- Nov/Dec - The Cuban boot project and other tales. Western Dairy Farmer.
- Sep - The big fib. Opinion. Page 6. Central Alberta Farmer.
- Aug 16 - Red herrings and other fishy stuff. (unpublished.)
- Aug 10 - The big lie. Submitted as Opinion. The Western Producer (unpublished).
- Jul 13 - UN forum didn't meet potential. Opinion. The Western Producer.
- Jun 8 - Testing: let the market decide. Opinon, The Western Producer
- May 11 - Water or oil? Troubling trends. Opinion, The Western Producer.
- Apr 13 - Safety Nets, CWB a matter of public trust. Opinion, The Western Producer.
- Mar 9 - Code for disaster, part two. Opinion, The Western Producer.
Feb 9 - Dual desk is code for disaster. Opinion, The Western Producer.
BRONZE, The Frank Jacobs Award for Press Column, 2006, Canadian Farm Writers' Federation
- Jan 12 - Farm issues noticed in election. Opinion, The Western Producer.
- Dec - The little project that could - a Christmas story. B.C. Holstein News.
- Dec 8 - Trading water - the answer is no. Opinion. The Western Producer.
- Nov 10 - Pass the softwood sandwich? Opinion. The Western Producer.
- Oct13 - When the landman wears lipstick. Opinion. The Western Producer.
- Sep 8 - Cargill's dominance a concern. Opinion. The Western Producer.
- Jul 14- Side-step, two-step carries on. Opinion. The Western Producer.
- Jul/Aug - Did you hear the one about the farmer's daughter? Western Dairy Farmer.
- Jun 9 - Here we go again on BSE file. Opinion. The Western Producer.
- May 12 The taking and return of Canada's water. Opinion. The Western Producer.
- May/Jun Teaching our bovines to roar. Western Dairy Farmer.
- Apr 14 - Hypocrisy and opportunity. Opinion. The Western Producer
- Mar 10 - Border issue: are we surprised? Opinion, The Western Producer
- Feb 10 - Farmers must speak in one voice. Opinion, The Western Producer
- Jan 6 - What goes around comes around. Opinion, The Western Producer
2004 (Jan - May published in Country Life in BC)
- Dec 2 - Winter is a good time for taking stock. Opinion, The Western Producer
- Dec Sharing Secrets... Three Canadian Dairy Farmers Bound for Cuba. BC Holstein News.
- Nov. 4 - Open Sesame? Waiting at border. (Opinion, The Western Producer)
- Oct 7 - BSE: It's Ottawa's turn to act. (Opinion, The Western Producer)
- Sep - Plain and Simple Stuff (BC Fruit Grower)
- Sep 9 - Anti American or pro-Canadian? (Opinion, The Western Producer)
- Aug - Building a Better Tractor, Part II of II. (Growers' Journal)
- Jul 29 - Minority government good for ag. (Opinion, The Western Producer)
- Jun - Building a better tractor. Part I of II. (Growers' Journal)
- Jun - Water and NAFTA: The politics of change (Canadian Organic Growers)
- Jun - Respect is not an option. (Growers' Journal)
- Jun - Like Barn Flies to Cow Pies (Quebec Farmers' Advocate)
- May - Farmers are worried to death...
- Apr - A matter of faith, and professionalism.
- Mar - Water and NAFTA, a sweetheart message from Canada's farmers.
- Feb - Farmers without borders.
- Jan - Looking the future in the eye.
2003 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - The empowerment gap.
- Nov - Mad cows, sad cows, glad cows.
- Oct - Slam Dunk!
Sep 25 - Using NAFTA to open the border is a "slam dunk" (Farmers' Independent Weekly)
Sep 11 - NAFTA should be invoked to open border (Farmers' Independent Weekly)
(SILVER, The O.R. Evans Award for Press Editorial, 2004, Canadian Farm Writers' Federation)
- Sep - Payin' for politics.
- Aug - Mad cows and red sugar.
- Jul - Canary in the mine.
- Jun - Fishin' for trouble.
May - Losing Ground. (Reprinted as Question gives farmers pause, Op-Ed. Western Producer, June 5)
(GOLD, The Frank Jacobs Award for Press Column, 2003, Canadian Farm Writers' Federation)
- Apr - For Canada and for Canada's communities... Can you help?
- Mar - Rarely has Valentine's Day been so sweet.
- Feb 13 - B.C. loses its ag minister (Farmers' Independent Weekly, Manitoba)
- Feb - Table with 1000 legs.
Jan - Cuban roots - Canadian soul.
2002 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - Mind candy for empowerment.
- Nov - A chill in the air.
Oct 31 - Supply Management Under Fire (Farmers' Independent Weekly, Manitoba)
(BRONZE, The O.R. Evans Award for Press Editorial, 2003, Canadian Farm Writers' Federation)
- Oct - The invisible hand is strangling the market to death. (Article)
- Oct - A lesson in contrasts.
- Sep - The sting!
- Aug 29 - Organic farm thrives in Fraser Delta (Farmers' Independent Weekly, Manitoba)
- Aug - Prairie drought; Canadian crisis?
- Jul - Now is the time to stand up and be counted.
- Jun 13 - Diversity: agriculture's hallmark (Farmers' Independent Weekly, Manitoba)
- Jun - Watering the grassroots.
- May - One voice: and that's what made the difference.
- Apr - High time for a revolution.
- Mar - Dancing with Fidel.
- Feb - For the record.
- Jan - New Era dumps Land Reserve commissioners.
2001 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - A primer on water policy and trade issues. (Article)
- Dec - Ten excellent reasons to go to Cuba this winter.
- Nov - Passion.
- Oct - Preserving independence.
- Sep - Sea change.
- Aug - The taking of Canada's water - the final chapter.
- Jul - Food for thought.
- Jun - Going from bad to worse with our water.
- May - When trade becomes capture.
- Apr - 10 points to raise with political wanna-be's.(Reprinted as To Politicians seeking farm vote. Op-Ed. Western Producer, April 19)
- Mar - Where is the leadership when the future of farming is on the line.
- Feb - Making connections in Cuba.
- Jan - Reflections at the millennium.
2000 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - Stories from the back roads of Cuba.
- Nov - Time to vote based on farm issues.
- Oct - "The experience of a lifetime."
- Sep - Delta - canary in a coal mine for B.C. agriculture.
- Aug - Where is respect for farmers' rights?
- Jul - The emperor's new clothes. (Reprinted in part as Play hardball to protect water, Op-Ed. Western Producer, August 10)
- Jun - Getting Resepect.
- May - Stewardship - unvalued by the market, of real value to society.
- Apr - Hope springs eternal even from the most cynical of bones.
- Mar - Postcards from Cuba.
- Feb - What the Little Red Hen finally found out.
- Jan - A barnyard conversation with the Little Red Hen.
1999 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - The erosion of public policy support for agriculture.
- Nov - Laid low - the taking of Canada's water.
- Oct - Reaping the rewards of co-operation.
- Sep - Till the cows come home.
- Aug - The year of living sabatically.
- Jul - Questions for a lazy summer afternoon.
- Jun - Plugging the leak on NAFTA myths.
- May - The Global Cottage and other tales.
- Apr - The rites and the signs of spring.
- Mar - Cuban ag reforms boost food production.
- Feb - Sustaining momentum... tale of a tourist.
- Jan - Fridge list for the coming year and beyond.
1998 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - Blacklisting, and how it affects us all.
- Nov - Provincial Interest Report a winner but...
- Oct - Fall preserves - a small harvest of ideas.
- Sep - Blowing smoke - the hype on hemp.
- Aug - Falling in love with Cuba - how about an exchange?
- Jul - A sun-warmed, earthy little column for July.
- Jun - One potato, two potatoes: the new ag economics.
- May - It all depends on which formula you use.
- Apr - Six Mile Ranch Scandal refuses to go away. (feature)
- Apr - What's in a name when it's (Dear <<Name>>:)
- Mar - Farmers must "Beware the Ides of March".
- Feb - Sweetheart issue for the farm community.
- Jan - For once, let's hear it for the good guys!
1997 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - Lett-uce dance? or CITT this one out?
- Dec - The proud history of Country Life in BC. (feature)
- Nov - Eating ties all of us to the land, but whose?
- Oct - Moura Quayle, new Dean of agriculture, talks to Wendy Holm.
- Sep - Paleolithic economics - time for new stone age.
- Aug - Dear Catherine -Open letter to BC agriculture's brand new Deputy Minister.
- Jul - Not with a bang but with a wimper.
- Jun - Stand Up, Wayne!
- May - We the undersigned.
- Apr - Dear firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mar - Why are they planting all those potatoes?
- Feb - Water - the other half of the ALR covenants.
- Jan - Maybe its time for a maternalistic approach.
1996 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - Give BC farming a super present.
- Nov - Three things Canadians can do in a canoe.
- Oct - Fair public comment on issues of importance.
- Sep - Just what is that SAVE-ON FOOD ad saying?
- Aug - Food for thought - an afternoon picnic for a hot August.
- Jul - Well Corky - what dance steps do we need to teach you?
- Jun - A window of opportunity for farmers' message.
- May - Where chicken farms are as common as magnolias.
- Apr - poz'e tive eks'tern al' etes.
- Mar - Politicians already in that "high-twitchiness" mode.
- Feb - It's the valley of the jolly (ho, ho, ho) green giant. Not.
- Jan - On round tables, square pegs and...
1995 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - Time to update lobbying skills for the '90's.
- Nov - All-Aboard! for a last trip in the Time-O-Rama.
- Oct - The Holm Stretch - ensure farmers get their share of Treaty benefits.
- Sep - Green stamps?
- Aug - Dare to be... A soliloquy to the CITT.
- Jul - All aboard! - we're pulling away pretty quick.
- Jun - Oh! For a yenta - matchmaking takes a lot of work.
- May - Treaty negotiations - is all Crown land created equal?
- Apr - Questions on the Columbia Treaty downstream benefit.
- Mar -This is not just small potatoes.
- Feb - Fast growing poplars could be worthwhile new ag crop. (Article)
- Feb - ADAM meets EVE... a strategic romance.
- Jan - Dear New Democratic Party.
1994 (Columnist, Country Life in BC)
- Dec - Which door you choose makes all the difference.
- Nov - It is 2030 A.D.... urban sprawl buries farmland.
- Oct - In search of border collies... in human guise.
- Sep - What do these farmers want anyway?
- Aug - Lament for a Nation Part II: the taking of Canada's water.
- Jun - Open letter to Larry Martin on ag potential.
- May - Agriculture's social potential needs consideration.
Apr - Co-ops are farmers best hope in post GATT
(this column has gone missing - if anyone has, would love a copy!)
- Mar - Leaving decisions to US no way to make farm policy.